Are you thinking of moving to Overland Park or are plans already underway? Here are some things you need to know.
5 Things To Know About Overland Park Before You Move Here.
5) Kansas is definitely not “fly over” country - When I first moved to Overland Park from Pittsburgh PA, I knew little about Kansas and like many easterners, I did not realize everything that this area has to offer. While central and western Kansas provide lots of open space, Overland Park – and Johnson County in general – is very diverse in culture and terrain, and there are all the amenities of any large city around the country.
4) Overland Park is the second most populous city in Kansas. It’s funny how a city I only considered a suburb of Kansas City is actually the second largest in Kansas! According to Wikipedia, it encompasses 75.37 square miles. Here’s a visual representation (courtesy of Wikipedia) of Overland Park within Johnson County:
3) Overland Park is diverse – As part of the Kansas City metropolitan area, Overland Park has flourished and grown into a City that frequently appears on “Best Of” lists! Overland Park is known for high quality education, it supports a lively sporting community, it has high-and not-so-high-end shopping venues, neighborhoods are designed around greenbelts and parks or are centered around lakes, there are fabulous restaurants here, and there are many opportunities to experience the area’s combination of rolling and flat terrain. There are still spots that hold fast to the areas agrarian history and I find these a refreshing change from the more numerous hallmarks of progress. And, if you do need to get away, we have one of the most convenient airports in the country and it’s easy to get just about anywhere from our central location.
2) If you want to experience the four seasons, you’ll find them here! This is one of my favorite things about Overland Park. Yes, it can get quite warm in the summer, but it won’t last long! The same goes for the cold, dry winters so partake of summer and winter activities to your heart’s delight! If they don’t exist here, they’re close by! Our spring and fall seasons can include some beautiful weather to be out and about in! I would say each season is usually about three months long so if you’re getting tired of the season, hang on – it’s almost over! Tornado season is maybe two months of the year, but we don’t seem to get the same intensity of storms that some of our neighboring states and counties experience (thank heavens!).
1) It is beautiful and friendly here! – The land. The architecture. City planning. The people. Overland Park is beautiful and friendly – like few places I’ve lived. It continues to emphasize a symbiotic relationship between progress and nature. Corporate Woods is the area’s business park and was built within the woods already present on the site. Landscaping is a primary feature in both the corporate centers and residential neighborhoods. Buildings are modern and homes stately with an obvious pride of ownership. Older neighborhoods are not bulldozed but revitalized and restored. People here value the wonderful amenities of Overland Park and continue to support the community as it grows. And friendly? You bet! Strangers greet you on the street, courtesy is still valued and employed here, and a neighbor is very often a friend!
Come to Overland Park. I love it here and bet you will too!
The data relating to real estate displayed on this website comes in part from the Heartland Multiple Listing Service database compilation. The properties displayed on this website may not be all of the properties in the Heartland MLS database compilation, or all of the properties listed with other brokers participating in the Heartland MLS IDX program. Detailed information about the properties displayed on this website includes the name of the listing company.
This data was last updated: Aug 18, 2018 3:11:pm.